The Institute for Basic Science (IBS) is a government-funded research institute founded in November 2011 with the purpose of driving forward the development of basic science in South Korea through large-scale, long-term, group research. IBS is currently operating 33 Research Centers in mathematics, physics, chemistry, life sciences, Earth science and interdisciplinary sciences.
In 2023, we are seeking candidates for the Director position of Research Centers (“Centers”) and the Chief Investigator (CI) position of research groups. We look forward to receiving applications from many excellent scientists.
1. Selection Type (Centers) Scientists who are capable of conducting large-scale, long-term, group research will be selected as candidates for the Director position of Centers. Organizational structure of a Center can take many forms including co-directorship model or single directorship with Associate Director(s). (CI Research Groups) Early-career researchers who are capable of exploring new territories of basic science will be selected as candidates for the position of CI. CIs will form their own research group at IBS HQ.
2. Research Areas
(Centers) Two Centers in all areas of basic science and interdisciplinary sciences, giving priority to the field of basic science research to solve human problems and pioneer new fields in accordance with the 3rd IBS Five Year Plan. Quantum Information Science (1 research center), Materials Science (1 research center), etc. Candidates for HQ Centers will be given first consideration. * Should the applicant wish to apply for the Director position of a Campus Center, they must be a current or prospective employee of a science and technology research university or government-funded research institution in Daedeok Innopolis and written approval from the university or institution is required.
(CI Research Groups) Two CI Research Groups in all areas of basic science and interdisciplinary sciences, giving priority to the field of basic science research to solve human problems and pioneer new fields in accordance with the 3rd IBS Five Year Plan. Life Science (1 CI Group), Earth Science (1 CI Group), etc.
CI Research Groups are operated within a Pioneer Research Center (PRC) with around 5 CIs or as an individual CI group within the research cluster to be established in the HQ and Campus Centers. CI groups for PRC* of the HQ will be given first consideration, but it is also possible to select CI groups at the Campus Centers. * Pioneer Research Center for Biomolecular and Cellular Structure, Pioneer Research Center for Climate and Earth Science, etc.
Each CI can operate an independent research group with an annual research funding of KRW 1-1.5 billion. Exploration of basic science to solve human problems (Space and Nature) Finding answers to the origin of the universe and the fundamental laws of nature (Materials Science) Understanding the structure and behavior of materials and creating new materials (Life Science) Identification of principles and mechanisms of life phenomena (Earth Science) Understanding the interaction between the Earth and the environment
Conducting basic science research for pioneering new fields (New theory) Establishment of a new theory that overturns the existing theory (New material) Creation of new material and identification of function (New methodology) Suggestion of a new methodology for exploring and utilizing natural phenomena
(Director) Must be capable of conducting large-scale, long-term, group research in basic science Must possess the capability that is equivalent to that of a chair/endowed professor at a world-renowned university or a director at a Max Planck Institute in a relevant area of expertise, or have the potential to reach the aforementioned level in the near future Must be able to commit to basic science research at IBS for a long term (at least 10 years) and must have demonstrated scientific excellence
(CI) Must demonstrate the capacity to lead their own research group and carry out challenging, creative and independent research in basic science Must possess the capability that is equivalent to that of a principal investigator at a world-renowned research institute or have great potential to reach the aforementioned level in the near future
4. Selection Criteria The applicant’s scientific excellence and adequacy of research plan will be reviewed by domestic and international scholars based on qualitative assessment. Scientific excellence: Quality and significance of the applicant’s research achievements, research capabilities and potential, and other relevant aspects Adequacy of research plan: Adequacy, reasonability and feasibility of the Center/group organization and operation plan, proposed budget and cost allocation, plan to nurture and support early career scientists, and mid- to long-term development plan and visions
5. Selection Procedure
By Feb. 2023: Accepting applications By Apr. 2023: Selection of candidates for in-depth evaluation By Sept. 2023: In-depth evaluation By Oct. 2023: Comprehensive evaluation and consultation by the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) By Dec. 2023: Negotiation and Appointment
* Please note that the dates are subject to change.
(Centers) The reasonability of the budget and cost allocation proposed in the application will be carefully reviewed during the selection and evaluation process for Directors. The proposed budget will be finalized after deliberation and approval by the IBS Research Review Committee. The budget amount is subject to change based on availability of institutional budget.
The research proposal in the application must include a detailed description regarding initial startup requirements: list of required research facilities and equipment, timeline, costs and other relevant information. If the applicant has plans to have Co-director(s) or Associate Director(s) within the proposed research period, relevant plans and required budgets must be specified in the application.
(CI Research Groups) The reasonability of the budget and cost allocation proposed in the application will be carefully reviewed during the selection and evaluation process for CIs. The proposed budget will be finalized after deliberation and approval by the IBS Research Review Committee. The budget amount is subject to change based on availability of institutional budget.
Each CI group will receive KRW 1 to 1.5 billion annual research funding, including personnel, equipment and other costs for research activities. A separate consultation will take place for research equipment and facilities that cost more than an individual CI group’s budget.
The research proposal in the application must include a detailed description regarding initial startup requirements: list of required research facilities and equipment, timeline, costs and other relevant information.
7. Position Details Must work full time and salary will be negotiated with the IBS President. Have the authority to organize their Center/group, including personnel, detailed research plan and budget allocation.
Not allowed to apply for other Korean government-funded research projects.
Candidates who are participating in projects awarded by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) Basic Science Research Programs may commence their research at IBS only after closeout or completion of the projects.
The Center/group will undergo a consultation-based interim review after two years from the start date and additional reviews follow every three years thereafter.
8. Application Submission (Director) Fill in the application form ([Attachment 1]) in English, save it as a PDF file with the title “applicant name_Director_submission date” and send it to email@example.com. Submission deadline: Tuesday 28 February 2023 noon (12:00) KST Applicants who qualify for in-depth evaluation will be notified in May 2023.
(CI) Fill in the application form ([Attachment 2]) in English, save it as a PDF file with the title “applicant name_CI_submission date” and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submission deadline: Tuesday 28 February 2023 noon (12:00) KST Applicants who qualify for in-depth evaluation will be notified in May 2023.
9. Inquiries PARK Gi Hoon, Head of the Research Evaluation Team at +82-42-878-8143 or email@example.com
To apply for this position, please visit at: https://www.ibs.re.kr/eng/sub04_02_04_01.do
We only accept the application in the given form through the website.
The AAPT Career Center has listings for the latest lecturer, instructor, assistant, associate, and full professor teaching positions, plus scientist jobs in specialized disciplines like theoretical physics, astronomy, condensed matter, materials, applied physics, astrophysics, optics and lasers, computational physics, plasma physics, and others! Find a job here as a high school physics teacher, community college teacher, physics faculty member at a two or four-year college or university, postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher.