Los Angeles or Goleta, California
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Notre Dame, Indiana
- PhD in Laser Physics, Applied Physics, general solid-state laser engineering, high average power laser technology and thermal, birefringence management techniques, short and long pulse laser physics, and/or nonlinear optics as applied to laser development, modeling, applications, and operations or related field or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Significant hands-on experience working safely and through the full engineering lifecycle with commercial or custom-built pulsed laser systems in a laboratory environment.
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience with complex analytical, numerical modeling and experiments needed to make recommendations and lead strategies for scientific and/or technical projects.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience recommending, developing, and implementing solutions to a diverse range of difficult and complex problems.
- Experience guiding, leading, and mentoring team members.
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.4 Level
- Substantial knowledge and subject matter expertise developing highly complex state-of-the-art laser systems in an R&D environment and using high energy lasers for experiments and/or industrial applications.
- Substantial experience leading interdisciplinary teams, particularly related to laser design, construction, or commissioning activities.
- Expert level knowledge and hands-on experience with Joule-class to multi-hundred Joule-class and/or 10s to 100s W average power shaped nanosecond (long pulse), CPA, OPCPA, and/or frequency conversion systems and their respective modeling.
- Substantial experience developing and utilizing highly complex laser performance and/or laser propagation modeling codes from their theorical aspect to their numerical implementation potentially in massively parallel high-performance computer systems.
- Extensive hands-on experience with Joule-class and above pulsed lasers in a laser development or operational environment.
- Significant experience in systems design for advanced laser design and analysis projects.
- Formal or informal systems engineering or systems architecting training or experience.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE L or Q clearance.