Rochester, New York
Los Angeles or Goleta, California
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Notre Dame, Indiana
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- BS/BA in materials science, materials engineering, engineering technology, engineering science, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, or physics or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad understanding of basic materials science/and or materials engineering and sample preparation concepts and skills, including sample polishing techniques, optical microscopy, scanning electron microscopies
- Experience with working with hazardous materials.
- Experience with precision engineering materials fabrication and metrology.
- Experience in operating an SEM or a microprobe, and using other materials preparation and characterization tools, such as x-ray diffraction, transmission electron microcopy, hardness testing, electropolishing, ion milling, vacuum coating, white-light interferometry, and density measurements.
- Experience with Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience operating computers to collect, analyze, and document scientific results.
- Ability to work independently, as well as a member of a team.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research and development environment at LLNL.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- PhD in materials science, materials engineering, engineering technology, engineering science, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, chemistry, or physics or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in advanced electron microscopy techniques and materials characterization including advanced theoretical knowledge of techniques and limitations of the tools.
- Advanced knowledge in advanced materials science concepts, including phase transformations, dislocations, alloying, crystal structure, and grain boundaries.
Qualifications we desire
- Experience working with gloveboxes.
- Experience with radioactive materials.
- Experience with instrument troubleshooting and maintenance, and the design and fabrication of simple fixtures.