Founded in 1989, Thorlabs has been serving the photonics industry for over 25 years. During that time, our worldwide presence has grown to include 15 offices in 9 countries with over 1500 employees. Each location provides a local presence within the community it serves. These local operations allow for customer dialogues that better inform our understanding of regional needs and how they fit within the worldwide picture. Today, our portfolio includes over 15,000 items, many of which are customer inspired.
Founded in Newton, NJ, the company still calls the town home today. Nestled in rural Sussex County, NJ, Thorlabs is within close proximity to New York City, the Delaware Water Gap, various lakes, state parks, and outdoor areas.
Thorlabs is privileged to play a role in the work of tens of thousands of researchers throughout the world through the products we provide. We are committed to building a company that achieves its competitive advantage from its fundamental understanding of the community of customers we serve.
Rich Text Editor, Description, Press ALT 0 for help
Purpose of the Position
The OEM Sales Engineer is a highly technical role that is responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with OEM customers and Key Accounts in the assigned geographical region. A primary focus of this position will be new business generation, including lead qualification and solution development in many areas of the photonics industry. Activities include frequent communication with the customer (specifications, pricing, product availability, services, etc), contract negotiation, and coordination of design and manufacturing resources for custom solutions. Key to this role is close engagement with the various business units and entities across the global Thorlabs organization representing extensive manufacturing capabilities.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
- Identify new opportunities and new markets for the Thorlabs OEM team representing Thorlabs catalog of over 15000 products as well as complete custom solutions
- Qualify and understand OEM customer technical needs (physics/engineering background required, optics/laser expertise preferred) to lead internal team of experts to deliver on OEM customer projects
- OEM and Key Account Management
- Dedicated point of contact for the customer
- Ensure that products and services meet or exceed customer expectations
- Handle all negotiations with OEM customers and Key Accounts
- Be the customer’s advocate within Thorlabs
- Work with OEM Project Managers, Engineers, and Sales Coordinators to provide customers with custom solutions from project conception to project end–of-life strategies
- Provides accurate sales forecasting to OEM Sales Manager and helps define strategies for territory and specific market growth
- Provides market feedback to R&D and MarCom groups
- Attends tradeshows regularly
- Manage and maintain pipeline and opportunities in CRM
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
- Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
- Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 25 pounds. No environmental hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions (such as in a typical office).
- Minimum 3 years of experience in technical sales and/or key account management, preferably with OEM accounts and/or in the photonics industry
- BS in a Photonics related field (Physics, Engineering, BioPhotonics, etc) or equivalent experience, advanced technical preferred
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Highly organized, able to plan and coordinate activities within a sales region including planning customer visits, organizing small trade shows, etc.
- Creative sales and business development strategies for lead generation
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience in a customer centric environment
- Ability to work independent as well as part of a team
- Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Dynamics, CRM, Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point) and communication tools
- Ability to work under time constraints
- Learning oriented
- Ability to fluently write and speak English
Travel is expected >50%.
This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities.
Thorlabs values its diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identify or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status. Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. The organization maintains its status as an at-will employer. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.